Since 1983, the Society of Outdoor Recreation Professionals (SORP) has been serving the outdoor recreation profession. It is the nation’s leading association of outdoor recreation and related professionals who strive to protect our natural and cultural resources while providing sustainable recreation access.
SORP is the voice for advancing the outdoor recreation profession.
To promote, advance, and serve outdoor recreation professionals in research, planning, management, and policy development.
People - Our strength is the passion, diversity, and leadership of our members.
Community - We thrive in the cultivation of shared purpose and the opportunity to make lasting connections.
Collaboration - We embrace collaboration to advance the outdoor recreation profession and foster meaningful results.
Sustainable Recreation - We encourage innovative approaches to manage outdoor recreation.
Professional Development - We believe that a distinguished career includes life-long learning.
- We provide a support network for outdoor recreation professionals (e.g., planners, managers, researchers, policy makers, and administrators).
- We serve as a conduit for information and technology transfer.
- We advance educational and professional development.
- We promote the scholarship and advancement of students and young professionals.
- We provide leadership on contemporary policy issues relevant to outdoor recreation.
Board Service - Frequently Asked Questions (2/13/17)
Policy and Procedure Manual (4/20/14)
2017-2021 Strategic Plan (2/8/17)
Articles of Incorporation
2015-16 General Operating Budget (1/25/16)
Download our brochure